Thanks to the rapid growth of technology, online education (or online learning) is now an efficient solution for busy people or office workers. It also takes part in many course offerings around the world. From certificates, PhDs, online language learning and everything in between, online learning is so easy more than ever!
What is Online Education?
Online education nowadays can go by many names and comes in a variety of styles such as Online Learning, Online Training, E-learning (electronic learning), M-learning (mobile learning), Computer-based training, Web-based training, Internet based training, Computer-aided distance education, etc. But the core definition can be explained like indiaeducation.net mentioned “Online education is electronically supported learning that relies on the Internet for teacher/student interaction and the distribution of class materials”.
Types of Online Education
There are many types of online learning, based on the purpose and living condition of learners. In the basic term, below are most popular types of online education
Online courses. This type does not take place in real-time and it does not require face-to-face interaction between learner and teacher. The result can be assessed through discussion boards, e-mail or online learning tools. This type of online education is mostly suitable for adults – who are busy with workload and they can apply for the online course and finish it whenever they have free time.
Hybrid Courses. Hybrid courses, or as known as blended courses, are the learning environments that allow for both in–person and online interaction. Typically, hybrid courses meet in person several times during a semester and provide for computer–based communication in between those face to face sessions.
Why Online Education will play an important role in the future?
85% of students think that online learning is the same or better than the traditional classroom experience (Source: educations.com). Here are some facts about student behavior regarding to online learning
Especially during Covid-19 recently, parents tend to register for their children because the social distancing and children cannot go to the school as normal. According to a latest survey conducted by Ashavi in April 2020, 52% of parents had registered online courses for their children. They are trying to overcome the lack of technical skills to ensure their children still keep up with the school lessons.
Read full infographic Here
The fact that students are not the only group who are interested in online education. Nowadays, more and more people register for online learning, including adults and officer staff like to take online learning. Many research and surveys have been conducted and here are 5 outstanding advantages of taking Online Education.
1. The variety of online courses. The first advantage of online learning is the diversity of courses – which could adapt to the different needs of everyone. People can find the college / university courses, career certifications, online courses for children about school subjects or learning a new language, etc.
2. The total cost is quite low. The second advantage of online education is the cost for transport is zero. Other costs that are related to commuting such as fuel, parking fee, vehicle maintenance, and public transportation costs also don’t affect the online learner. Even some courses can give you free of charge such as Google Analytics Academy, LinkedIn Learning, Oxford Home Study, etc.
3. Convenience and flexibility. The most interesting part is – you don’t have to go anywhere to register and join those courses. All you need is a smart device that can connect with the Internet and a concentrated mind to join the class with the best mood.
4. Career advancement. In a survey conducted by The Learning House, 44% of online students reported improvements in their employment standing, for example by obtaining a full-time job within 12 months of graduation, and 45% reported a salary increase.
5. Improve technical skills. Because all the steps are performed in smart devices, such as smart phone, tablet, laptop, computer, etc. So if you can join an online course, at least you will understand how to use smart devices and online tools. On the other hand, this would help you to handle basic technical situations in the working environment as well as daily life – where technology takes part in the important role and it will continue to boom in the future.
Plus, registering an online course could help you increase self-discipline and responsibility. Because you have to study on your own, there is nobody to supervise or remind you to finish the lesson or do the practice homework. Therefore, online education also helps you be more self-motivated, this would help you stand out in the workplace and further.
Future of Online Education
The concept of traditional education has changed radically. Being physically present in a classroom isn’t the only learning option anymore — not with the social distancing because of pandemic crisis time and the rise of the internet and new technologies, at least.
Online Education has grown over the last few years and has mainstream acceptance. The future of online education looks promising, especially when it provides more valuable degrees / certification and opens up the education opportunity to a larger segment of the population than ever before. In the future, more and more advanced technology will be integrated in education systems such as Artificial Intelligence (AI), Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR), Blockchain Technology, etc.
Keep in touch with Ashavi for many market updates and trends. We also provide Technology & Market research services to help organizations boost the business in the most efficient way.
ASHAVI – Boost Business By Insights and Technologies